My name is Ian Gray and I am the inventor of the RollerScoot®
I qualified as a Chartered Physiotherapist in 1990 and I am the owner of Torbay Mobility based in Paignton, Devon. I have over 25 years experience of disability and mobility equipment and therefore have a wealth of knowledge and skills to draw upon for the development of this fantastic new product.
Rollerscoot® perhaps may be best described as a Stand/Sit Personal Mobility Vehicle. The idea for the RollerScoot® was initially conceived around 5 years ago when I was travelling on a moving walkway in a supermarket and an elderly man in front of me was taking support from his shopping trolley. When he reached the end of the walkway, he struggled to get walking again. I thought it would be a great idea if he could have just continued round the supermarket on the moving walkway! So I imagined a kind of ‘hover scooter’ buzzing around, but also whilst the person was standing!
Given my background, I could immediately see the advantages of such a ‘standing personal mobility vehicle’ which was extremely manoeuvrable and with the ability to turn on the spot, small enough to fit through narrow doorways and in between furniture or the isles of shops, which was very light and compact, with the ability to be folded or disassembled, that could be rolled along the ground like a case, and be quickly and easily stored in the car boot or other convenient location!
Several prototypes later, I exhibited a half-decent, proof-of-concept RollerScoot® prototype at one of Europe’s largest mobility and rehabilitation exhibitions, Naidex, NEC Birmingham 1st -3rd May 2012, to a very enthusiastic reception! In fact, it won the prestigious New Product of The Year Award, voted for by the actual 11,000+ visitors to the show, out of hundreds of other new products, mostly from market leaders!
Using Naidex as a perfect platform to do some essential market research, many of my expectations of RollerScoot®'s advantages were soon realised.
RollerScoot - A Revolutionary new choice for people with reduced mobility.
Here are some of the fantastic features that RollerScoot® has to offer:
Here is a summary of just some of the RollerScoot® benefits and features
The RollerScoot enables the user to remain at eye-level with those around them in the more functional, interactive and healthier upright position. It has an aluminium frame and chassis for lightness and durability, twin motors easily controlled using a joystick for exceptional manoeuvrability and stability, and powered by a rechargeable lithium battery pack. It can also be quickly folded or easily dismantled for stowage or transportation and has zero carbon emissions.
- Health Benefits ‐ unlike conventional mobility vehicles, users of the RollerScoot can choose and change their body position between high-sitting, perching or the upright positions. As well as better posture, users have a greater sense of well-being, blood circulation and digestion improves, as do the symptoms of conditions such as diabetes and osteoporosis.
A BBC TV programme (‘Trust Me, I’m a Doctor’) highlighted a study by The University of Chester following many health benefit claims by the UK, USA and Australia of standing more and sitting less: The big standing up experiment
The well-respected organisation JustStand.org details many health benefits associated with sitting less and standing more: The human body is designed to move
The ‘Better Health Channel’ of Australia describes the many dangers that can result from for sitting for prolonged periods and that by changing body positions, altering posture and standing more can substantially reduce the susceptibility to these dangers in their article ‘The Dangers of Sitting: Why Sitting is the New Smoking’
The above are just a few references; many other media articles have highlighted that the ‘sitting disease’ is on the increase - and the RollerScoot helps to combat this, especially for those who are most at risk such as the elderly and less-able.
- Social Empowerment ‐ many users of seated mobility vehicles feel demeaned and stigmatised by being in a lower position than those who are able to stand; the RollerScoot makes it possible to have eye level contact with others as well as do more of what those who can stand take for granted (such as reach a supermarket shelf or a light switch).
- Manoeuvrability ‐ the RollerScoot turns on its own axis, will move in any required direction and will fit through any standard sized doorway.
- Control ‐ the RollerScoot is easily operated (both speed and direction) using an ergonomic joystick-type controller (or suitable alternatives), with quiet and smooth power delivery from twin motors and the lithium-ion battery pack.
- Safe & Stable ‐ the RollerScoot has a low-profile platform as well as a low centre of gravity. Speed is also automatically reduced on turning, drastically reducing any shift in centre of gravity. Coupled with the RollerScoot’s front support rest, the user is always assured of a safe and stable position.
Read what people are saying about RollerScoot
The RollerScoot has transformed my life! My thanks to Ian and the team!
Mr P Southern
I use my RollerScoot for running around my house and going to the local shops! Being upright is definitely better for me - thank you!
Mrs A Williamson
I have taken my RollerScoot to Majorca on holiday and it was great for getting around the hotel and the local sea front!
Mr N Fowler
I use my RollerScoot for 8 hours a day at work, which is in a garage/workshop - much easier to get around than in my scooter or wheelchair!
Mr A. Kent
My RollerScoot is ideal for going round exhibitions and a I can actually see what is going on!
Mr J Arnott
Contact us to enquire or order, and see for yourself how the RollerScoot stand up Mobility Scooter could help you.
We also offer 12 months warranty for peace of mind.